First hand : Civil War era drawings from the Becker collection / edited by Judith Bookbinder and Sheila Gallagher
- Chestnut Hill, MA : McMullen Museum of Art, Boston College, 2009.
[Chicago] : Distributed by the University of Chicago Press.
- Physical Description:
- 272 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 23 x 27 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Bookbinder, Judith Arlene
McMullen Museum of Art
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Preface / Nancy Netzer -- Introduction / Sheila Gallagher and Judith Bookbinder -- An artist's interesting recollections of Leslie's weekly / Joseph Becker -- Civil War drawings as art / Judith Bookbinder -- Drawing as information / Sheila Gallagher -- Seeing the archives / James M. O'Toole -- Special artists of the Civil War / Harry L. Katz -- In the midst of battle / Judith Bookbinder -- Figures of life and figures of death / James D. Wallace -- The black image in the white northern mind / Lucia Zaucha Knoles -- Microhistories : Civil War witnessing before memorialization / Nirmal Trivedi -- Authenticity, the master author, and the missing hand / Natasha Seaman -- Joeseph Becker visits the Shakers / Robert P. Emlen -- Political(?) cartoons in the Becker Collection / Vincent J. Cannato.
- Published in conjunction with the exhibition of the same name held at the McMullen Museum of Art, Boston College, Sept. 5-Dec. 13, 2009.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 265-272).
View MARC record | catkey: 6765698