Croatia : aspects of art, architecture, and cultural heritage / with an introduction by John Julius Norwich
- London : Frances Lincoln, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 224 pages : color illustrations, maps, plans ; 30 cm
- A survey of Croatian history / Stjepan Ancient Greeks in Croatia / Branko Kirigin ; edited by Michael Vickers -- Roman art in Croatian Dalmatia, first to third centuries AD / J.J. Wilkes -- The palace of Diocletian at Split / Sheila McNally -- Illuminated manuscripts in Croatia / Christopher de Hamel -- Gothic art and the friars in late medieval Croatia, 1213-1460 / Donal Cooper -- The Renaissance in Croatia and Italy : the chapel of the blessed Giovanni Orsini / David Ekserdjian -- Nikola Bogcsidarevi Jogcs Italy and Dalmatia : architecture, sculpture, painting, and the decorative arts, c. 1400-1800 / Timothy Clifford -- Dubrovnik : Italian art, c. 1400-1800 / Timothy Clifford -- Castles and manor houses of Croatia : winning or losing? / Marcus Binney -- Museums of Zagreb / Brian Sewell.
- "This volume is the first scholarly study in the English language of Croatia's extraordinary artistic heritage. Leading specialists analyse key cultural developments in this small country's history, from the extensive Roman remains on the Adriatic coast, through the gothic splendour of the Dalmatian cities in the Middle Ages and intensive artistic exchange with Italy during the Renaissance, to the grand houses and art collections of continental Croatia. The essays address iconic monuments like Diocletian's Palace at Split and the walled city of Dubrovnik alongside more unfamiliar treasures, some never published before. This book sets Croatia's cultural past in context, reflecting the country's unique history at the crossroads between Italy, Central Europe and the Mediterranean."--BOOK JACKET.
- 9780711229211 (hbk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6765716