The "inscrutably Chinese" church : how narratives and nationalism continue to divide Christianity / Nathan Faries
- Faries, Nathan, 1971-
- Lanham, Md. : Lexington Books, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- viii, 309 pages ; 24 cm
- Introduction: "inscrutably Chinese" narratives -- The "true face" of the Chinese church -- National narratives from outside China -- National narratives from within China -- Missionary stories from the past -- "Missionary" stories from contemporary China -- Literary narratives from before China's reform era -- Foreign travelers in the new China -- Chinese-American voices and living White males -- Pre-modern and modern literature -- Reform era writers test the waters -- Shi Tiesheng and Bei Cun dive into the deep end -- The narratives of Chinese Christianity -- Conclusion: cause for hope amid unresolved tensions.
- 9780739139578 (cloth : alk. paper)
0739139576 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- UP-PAT copy: Purchased with funds from the William R. Slater Fund; 2010.
- Endowment Note:
- William A. Slater Fund
View MARC record | catkey: 6765820