History as evidence : nursing interventions through time / [edited by] Patricia D'Antonio, Sandra B. Lewenson
- Sweating, purging, and a passion for care : the yellow fever nurse in the deep South in the early nineteenth century / Linda Sabin -- Determining children's "best interests" in the midst of an epidemic : a cautionary tale from history / Cynthia Anne Connolly -- Treating influenza 1918 and 2010 : recycled interventions / Arlene W. Keeling -- "An obstinate and sometimes gangrenous sore" : prevention and nursing care of bedsores, 1900 to the 1940s / Helen Zuelzer -- Body, soul, and service : Catholic sister-nurses in late nineteenth and early twentieth century hospitals / Barbara Mann Wall -- Bridging the gaps : collaborative health work in the City of Brotherly Love, 1900-1920 / J. Margo Brooks Carthon -- Filling the gaps in community care : parish nurses working out of congregations / Lisa M. Zerull -- Obstetric nursing : for the patient or the doctor? / Sylvia Rinker -- Nursing patients with cancer in the 1950s : new issues and old challenges / Brigid Lusk -- Trial and negotiation in a technological system : case study of the Swan-Ganz catheter / Kathleen G. Burke -- Black Canadian nurses and technology / Karen Flynn -- To avoid expense and suffering : public health nurses and the struggle for health services / Rima D. Apple -- The visit : nurse practitioners and the negotiation of practice / Julie A. Fairman -- Nursing the borderlands of life : hospice and the politics of health care reform / Joy Buck.
- Nursing has a rich history that consistently informs contemporary practice and standards. This book, by examining pivotal historical interventions across the spectrum of clinical care, allows nurses of today to incorporate the wisdom of the past into their own daily work. Maternal-child health programs, palliative care, tuberculosis, medications, pediatric care, diabetes care, and more are discussed. -- and This invaluable resource documents how and why specific nursing interventions came about, what aspects of these interventions are utilized today and why, and how nurses of the past have addressed and solved the challenges of practice, from adapting to new technologies to managing the intricacies of the nursephysician relationship. --Book Jacket.
- 9780826105776 and 0826105777
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- New Kensington copy: Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 2010.
View MARC record | catkey: 6845828