Stambeli : music, trance, and alterity in Tunisia / Richard C. Jankowsky
- Jankowsky, Richard C.
- Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 2010.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 237 pages : illustrations, map ; 24 cm + 1 audio disc (4 3/4 in.).
- Chicago studies in ethnomusicology
- Histories and geographies of encounter -- Encountering the other people: alterity, possession, ethnography -- Displacement and emplacement: the trans-Saharan slave trade and the emergence of sṭambēlī -- Black spirits, white saints: geographies of encounter in the sṭambēlī pantheon -- Musical aesthetics and ritual dynamics -- Voices of ritual authority: musicians, instruments, and vocality -- Sounding the spirits: the ritual dynamics of temporality, modality, and sonic density -- Trance, healing, and the bodily experience: from individual affliction to collective appeasement -- Movements and trajectories -- Pilgrimage and place: local performances, transnational imaginaries -- Sṭambēlī on stage: (re)presentations, musical cosmopolitanism, and the public sphere -- Conclusion: music, trance, and alterity -- Epilogue (with notes on audio examples).
- 9780226392172 (cloth : alk. paper), 0226392171 (cloth : alk. paper), 9780226392196 (pbk. : alk. paper), and 0226392198 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6847399