Teachers Matter: Attracting, Developing and Retaining Effective Teachers [electronic resource] / Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
- Corporate Author:
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
- [Place of publication not identified] : OECD Publishing, 2005.
- Physical Description:
- 240 pages
- Education and Training Policy, 1990-1496
- Introduction -- Why Is Teacher Policy Important? -- Making Teaching an Attractive Career Choice -- Developing Teachers’ Knowledge and Skills -- Recruiting, Selecting and Employing Teachers -- Retaining Effective Teachers in Schools -- Developing and Implementing Teacher Policy -- How the Activity Was Conducted.
- Teachers Matter provides a comprehensive, international analysis of trends and developments in the teacher workforce in 25 countries around the world; research on attracting, developing and retaining effective teachers; innovative and successful policies and practices that countries have implemented; and teacher policy options for countries to consider. While documenting many areas of concern about teachers and teaching, the report also provides positive examples of where policies are making a difference. It spotlights countries where teachers’ social standing is high, and where there are more qualified applicants than vacant posts. Even in countries where shortages have been a concern, there are recent signs of increased interest in teaching, and policy initiatives appear to be taking effect. At a time when many countries are facing an ageing teaching workforce and having trouble attracting new recruits, this book provides insights into how governments can successfully deal with these issues.
- Other Edition:
- fre, ger, spa, hun, jpn, and por
View MARC record | catkey: 6851735