The practice of everyday life / Michel de Certeau ; translated by Steven Rendall
- Certeau, Michel de.
- Uniform Title:
- Arts de faire. English
- Berkeley : University of California Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxiv, 229 pages ; 24 cm
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Michel de Certeau considers the uses to which social representation and modes of social behavior are put by individuals and groups, describing the tactics available to the common man for reclaiming his own autonomy from the all-pervasive forces of commerce, politics, and culture. In exploring the public meaning of ingeniously defended private meanings, de Certeau draws on an immense theoretical literature in analytic philosophy, linguistics, sociology, semiology, and anthropology--to speak of an apposite use of imaginative literature.
- 0520047508, 9780520047501, 0520236998 (pbk.), and 9780520236998 (pbk.)
- Translation of: Arts de faire, which was v. 1 of L'invention du quotidien.
- Bibliography Note:
- Bibliography: pages 205-229.
View MARC record | catkey: 6935938