Politics of orality [electronic resource] / edited by Craig Cooper
- Boston : Brill, 2007.
- Physical Description:
- xvii, 377 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Cooper, Craig R. (Craig Richard), 1960-
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Mnemosyne, bibliotheca classica Batava. Supplementum, 0169-8958 ; 280
Orality and literacy in ancient Greece ; v. 6
Brill eBook titles 2007
- Restrictions on Access:
- Available to subscribing member institutions only.
- EPIC, ORALITY AND POLITICS. The Language of Heroes and the Language of Heroines: storytelling in oral traditional epic / Elizabeth Minchin -- "Summoning Together all the People": variant tellings of the Mwindo Epic as social and political deliberation / Nathalia King -- Orality and Textual Criticism: the Homeric Hymns / Franco Ferrari -- Orality and the Politics of Scholarship / Annette Teffeteller -- POLITICAL MANIPULATION OF TEXTS. Written Lists of Military Personnel in Classical Athens / Geoffrey W. Bakewell -- Why the Athenians forgot Cleisthenes: literacy and the politics of remembrance in ancient Athens / Greg Anderson -- Lycurgus and the State Text of Tragedy / Ruth Scodel -- Myth and Writing in Aeschines' Against Timarchus / Guy Olding -- Orality and the Politics of Roman Peacemaking / Linda T. Zollschan -- THE ORAL AND WRITTEN CONTROVERSY: PRIVILEGING LITERACY. Theognis' Sphregis: Aristocratic Speech and the Paradoxes of Writing / Thomas Hubbard -- Thucydides' History Live: reception and politics / James V. Morrison -- From Orality to Literacy: The Moral Education of the Elite in Fourth-Century Athens / Frances Pownall -- Writing Divine Speech: Greek transliterations of Near Eastern languages in the Hellenistic East / Matthew J. Martin -- THE ORAL AND WRITTEN CONTROVERSY: PRIVILEGING ORALITY. Fighting the Future: Euripidean letters and Thucydides' Athens / Emma M. Griffiths -- Elitist Orality and the Triviality of Writing / Margalit Finkelberg -- Neronian Oral Politics: the case of Musonius Rufus / Niall Slater -- ORALITY AND WRITTEN LAW. Oral "Agreement", Written Contract, and the Bonds of Law at Athens / Edwin Carawan -- Did the Athenian Courts Attempt to Achieve Consistency? Oral tradition and written records in the Athenian administration of justice / Edward M. Harris.
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6942068