The New Testament and early Christian literature in Greco-Roman context [electronic resource] : studies in honor of David E. Aune / edited by John Fotopoulos
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xv, 468 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Aune, David E. (David Edward) and Fotopoulos, John, 1967-
- Supplements to Novum Testamentum, 0167-9732 ; v. 122
Brill ebook titles
- Restrictions on Access:
- Available to subscribing member institutions only.
- Encomium to David E. Aune / Ioudaioi and Paul / Crucified for his own sins, crucified for our sins : observations on a Pauline perspective / The misidentification of Lerna fountain at Corinth : implications for interpretations of the Corinthian idol-food issue (1 Cor 8:1-11:1) / "Not even among the pagans" (1 Cor 5:1) : Paul and Seneca on incest / 2 Corinthians 11:22 : historical context, rhetoric, and ethnic identity / The world of thought in the Philippians hymn (Philippians 2:6-11) / Paul's pneumatological statements and ancient medical texts / "Listening posts" along the way : "synchronisms" as metaleptic prompts to the "continuity of the narrative" in Polybius' Histories and in Luke's Gospel-Acts : a tribute to David E. Aune / The Pauline itinerary and the archive of Theophanes / Judas, the son of perdition, and the fulfillment of Scripture in John 17:12 / Perjury in ancient religion and modern law : a comparative analysis of perjury in Homer and United States law / The kingdom of the Father in the Gospel of Thomas / The relevance of the Roman imperial cult for the book of Revelation : exegetical and hermeneutical reflections on the relation between the seven letters and the visionary main part of the book / Ruler or god? : the demolition of Herod's eagle / "A woman clothed with the sun" and the "great red dragon" seeking to "devour her child" (Rev. 12:1, 4) in Roman domestic art / Prolegomenous reflections on Ophidian iconography, symbology, and New Testament theology / Philo, magic and Balaam : neglected aspects of Philo's exposition of the Balaam story / Rhetorical handbooks in service of Biblical exegesis : Eustathius of Antioch takes Origen back to school / Views of mental illness among Greeks, Romans, and Christians / Christ proclaiming his law to the apostles : the traditio legis-motif in early Christian art and literature / Early Christian ascetic practices and Biblical interpretation : the witnesses of Galen and Tatian / John Fotopoulos -- Calvin J. Roetzel -- Peder Borgen -- John Fotopoulos -- Paul Hartog -- Dennis C. Duling -- Thomas H. Tobin -- Troy W. Martin -- David P. Moessner -- Loveday Alexander -- Urban C. von Wahlde -- John T. Fitzgerald -- Hans Kvalbein -- Jörg Frey -- Jan Willem van Henten -- David L. Balch -- James H. Charlesworth -- Torrey Seland -- Margaret M. Mitchell -- Robert M. Grant -- Reidar Hvalvik -- James A. Kelhoffer.
- 9004143041 (alk. paper)
9789004143043 (alk. paper)
9789047407140 (electronic book)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- "David E. Aune's major publications": pages -456.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 6946568