Muhammad Ali [electronic resource] : the making of an icon / Michael Ezra
- Ezra, Michael, 1972-
- Philadelphia : Temple University Press, 2009.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xi, 233 pages)
- Louisville's favorite son : the professional debut -- Choosing management : the courtship of Cassius Clay -- The early bouts, 1961-1962 -- Clay vs. Moore : the seminal text -- The most hated man in boxing? The early bouts, 1963 -- Damage control through moral authority : the Louisville Sponsoring Group's specialty -- The relationship between Cassius Clay and Louisville Sponsoring Group : a summary -- The commercial elements of Clay-Liston I -- Main Bout, Inc. : how commerce affects culture -- Carving out moral authority: Ali's race man phase -- Forty years of Ali : the making of an icon -- The legacy of Ali's exile and the Nation of Islam -- The prodigal son returns -- King of the world : the consequences of monarchy -- Death of a salesman -- Lonnie Ali : the savior -- Thomas Hauser : the literary rehabilitation of Ali's legend -- Olympic torch : from literature to television -- Beyond moral authority : the apotheosis of Muhammad Ali -- Culture meets commerce : the Muhammad Ali center, naming rights, and the price of moral authority -- The backlash : exploring contradictory meanings of Ali.
- A look at the commercial intrigue that surrounds Muhammad Ali in and out of the ring.
- 9781592136636 (electronic bk.)
159213663X (electronic bk.)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -228) and index.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 6952493