The Cul-de-sac syndrome [electronic resource] : turning around the unsustainable American dream / John F. Wasik
- Wasik, John F.
- Hoboken : John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2011.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (225 pages)
- The CUL-DE-SAC Syndrome: Turning Around the Unsustainable American Dream; Contents; Preface; Introduction: The Foundation Cracks; Part 1: A Dream Gone Bad; Chapter 1: False Economics: American Dreamers in the Sunshine State; Chapter 2: Origins of a Dream; Chapter 3: How Debt Addiction Fed a Housing Crisis; Chapter 4: Cul-de-Sac Nation: Symptoms of a Syndrome; Chapter 5: The Spurbing of National Health; Part 2: Reinventing Home and Community; Chapter 6: Toward Sustainable Dreams; Chapter 7: Building Smarter; Chapter 8: The Near Death of a Suburb; Chapter 9: Reclaiming the Inner City and Chapter 10: Sustainability and Development: Bridging the GapChapter 11: The Bill Comes Due: Which Places Will Prosper?; Epilogue: Cleaning Up, Moving On; Notes; Index;
- An incisive look at the consequences of today's costly and damaging suburban lifestyle. In The Cul-de-Sac Syndrome , Bloomberg News' John Wasik exposes the economic, cultural, environmental, and health problems underlying life in suburbia. Wasik provides powerful insights into how the U.S. suburban lifestyle has become unsustainable and what can be done to salvage it. His observations are firmly grounded in exclusive on-the-ground research, interviews with thought leaders, and the latest studies and statistics. The book.: Exposes the untold truths about suburban home ownership: green isn't alw
- 9780470885376 (electronic bk) and 9780470918081
- Description based upon print version of record. and AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 6954220