Reputation [electronic resource] : portraits in power / Marjorie Williams ; edited by Timothy Noah
- Williams, Marjorie, 1958-2005
- New York : PublicAffairs, 
- Copyright Date:
- 1st ed.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xxvi, 285 pages)
- Additional Creators:
- Noah, Timothy
- Welcome to Washington -- Reputation (Clark Clifford) -- Here comes the groom (Larry King) -- The game (Jim Baker) -- La belle dame sans merci (Patricia Duff) -- Man of a thousand faces (George H.W. Bush) -- Tristan & Isolde, LLC (James Carville and Mary Matalin) -- Mother's milk (Terry McAuliffe) -- The story of a good girl (Anna Quindlen) -- The end of the affair (Lawrence Walsh) -- The story of a bad boy (Lee Atwater) -- The ingenue (Laura Ingraham) -- Before the fall (Colin Powell).
- In a collection of profiles with the richness of short fiction, late journalist Marjorie Williams limns the personalities that dominated politics and the media during the final years of the twentieth century. In these pages, Clark Clifford grieves "in his laborious baritone" a bank scandal's blow to his re-pu-taaaaaay-shun. Lee Atwater likens himself to Ulysses and pleads, "Tah me to the mast!" Patricia Duff sheds "precipitous tears" over her divorce from Ronald Perelman, resembling afterwards "a garden refreshed by spring rain." Reputation illuminates our recent past through expertly drawn portraits of powerful--and messily human--figures.--From publisher description.
- Politicians—United States—Biography
- Political consultants—United States—Biography
- Journalists—United States—Biography
- Power (Social sciences)—United States
- Political culture—United States
- Political culture—Washington (D.C.)
- Press and politics—United States
- Press and politics—Washington (D.C.)
- United States—Biography
- Washington (D.C.)—Biography
- 9780786726554 (electronic bk.)
0786726555 (electronic bk.)
- Includes index.
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 6959251