Reading women : how the great books of feminism changed my life / Stephanie Staal
- Staal, Stephanie
- New York : PublicAffairs, 
- Copyright Date:
- 1st ed.
- Physical Description:
- x, 275 pages ; 21 cm
- Discovery. Understanding backwords -- Revisiting feminism -- Day one -- Adam, Eve, and the serpent -- Natural woman, unnatural world -- You can run, but you can't hide -- Destiny. Perpetua -- Rewriting motherhood -- A vindication of the rights of woman -- Marital destiny -- The awakening -- Coming home -- Divisions. A room of one's own -- The second sex -- The feminine mystique -- Daughter of the revolution -- Who has time for "happy"? -- The dialectic of sex -- How does a feminist do laundry? -- I want a wife -- Sexual politics -- Object lesson -- Desire. Fear of flying -- Dora -- In a different voice -- The morning after -- Gender trouble -- Riverbend girl blog -- Living forwards.
- The first time Stephanie Staal read feminist authors like Simone de Beauvoir and Betty Friedan, she was a nineteen-year-old student taking a Feminism 10 I class, her eyes as wide as the horizon of limitless possibility that stretched in front of her, A decade later, Stephanie is a wife and mother who has traded the stability and independence of full-time work for the flexibility of freelancing as she brings up her daughter in a small city to which she has moved from the hub of New York. Her former self seems to be increasingly obscured by the diaper- and dish-load. Distant from her family and urban friends. Stephanie turns back to the feminist classics, re-enrolling in the same Feminism 10I class at her alma mater, and puts them to the test: can they speak to her as incisively now as they did to the idealistic nineteen-year-old? And who are the new generation of feminists taking the course for the first time---what does feminism mean to them? --Book Jacket.
- 9781586488727 (pbk.)
- Source of Acquisition:
- Shenango copy: Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 2010.
- Endowment Note:
- Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries)
View MARC record | catkey: 6965793