The American bourgeoisie [electronic resource] : distinction and identity in the nineteenth century / [edited by] Sven Beckert and Julia B. Rosenbaum
- Palgrave studies in cultural and intellectual history
- Goodbye to the marketplace: food and exclusivity in nineteenth-century New York / Anne Mendelson -- "Natural distinction": the American bourgeois search for distinctive signs in Europe / Maureen E. Montgomery -- Henry James and the american evolution of the snob / Alide Cagidemetrio -- Patina and persistence: miniature patronage and production in antebellum Philadelphia / Anne Verplanck -- The "Blending and confusion" of expensiveness and veauty: bourgeois interiors / Katherine C. Grier -- Bourgeois institution builders: New York in the nineteenth century / Sven Beckert -- The steady supporters of order: American Mechanics' Institute fairs as Icons of vourgeois culture / Ethan Robey -- A noble pursuit?: bourgeois America'a uses of lineage / Francesca Morgan -- Elite women and class formation / Mary Rech Rockwell -- Rediscovering the bourgeoisie: higher education and governing-class formation in the United States, 1870-1914 / Peter Dobkin Hall -- Odering the social sphere: public art and Boston's bourgeoisiue / Julia B. Rosenbaum -- The problem of Chicago / Paul DiMaggio -- Bourgeois appropriation of music: challenging ethnicity, class, and gender / Michael Broyles -- The birth of the American art museum / Alan Wallach -- The manufactured patron: staging bourgeois identity through art consumption in postbellum America / John Ott.
- 023011556X (electronic bk.) and 9780230115569 (electronic bk.)
- Description based on print version record. and AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Perth, W.A. Available via World Wide Web.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 6967998