Rethinking American electoral democracy [electronic resource] / Matthew J. Streb
- Streb, Matthew J. (Matthew Justin), 1974-
- New York : Routledge, 2011.
- 2nd ed.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (240 pages)
- Additional Creators:
- Ebooks Corporation
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Creating a Model Electoral Democracy -- Criteria for a Model Electoral Democracy -- A Few Comments -- Overview of the Book -- pt. I Rethinking the Costs of Voting -- 2.Factors that Influence Voter Turnout -- "Didn't We Just Vote?" -- Other Barriers to Voting -- 3.The Offices We Elect -- Do We Really Need to Vote for Coroner? -- The Case of Judicial Elections -- 4.Direct Democracy -- What is the Initiative Process and How Does it Work? -- Some Misconceptions About the Initiative Process -- Why the Public Supports the Initiative Process -- The Problems with the Initiative Process -- Some Potential Reforms -- Recall Elections -- pt. II Rethinking the Mechanics of Voting -- 5.Ballot Laws -- Getting on the Ballot -- Candidate Information on the Ballot -- The Order of Candidates' Names on the Ballot -- Ballot Design -- 6.Voting Machines -- Different Types of Voting Equipment -- The Problem with Punch Card Ballots -- The Pros and Cons of the Remaining Contenders -- A Word on Internet Voting -- So, What's the Solution? -- pt. III Rethinking National Elections -- 7.The Redistricting Process -- How Does the Process Work? -- The Goals of Redistricting -- What Should be the Goals of Redistricting? -- What Process Best Achieves the Goals of Redistricting? -- 8.Presidential Primaries -- King Caucus and the Smoke-Filled Rooms -- Reforms to the Presidential Primary Process -- 9.The Electoral College -- What is the Electoral College? Why Do We Have It? -- Arguments in Favor of the Electoral College and Why They are Flawed -- The Reasons for Change -- Attempts to Reform the Electoral College -- The Future of the Electoral College -- 10.Campaign Finance -- A Brief History of Campaign Finance Reform -- The Concerns of Campaign Finance Reformers -- The Favorite Solution: Publicly Financed Elections -- A Controversial Solution -- A Brief Word on Citizens United -- 11.Conclusion: Moving Toward a Model Electoral Democracy -- Revisiting the Criteria for a Model Electoral Democracy -- Other Improvements to American Electoral Democracy -- The Prospects for Reform.
- 0203848152 (electronic bk.)
9780203848159 (electronic bk.)
- Description based on print version record.
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Perth, W.A. Available via World Wide Web.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 6970556