The return of theory in early modern English studies : tarrying with the subjunctive / [edited by] Paul Cefalu and Bryan Reynolds
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 326 pages ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Cefalu, Paul and Reynolds, Bryan (Bryan Randolph)
- Machine generated contents note: -- Tarrying with the Subjunctive, an Introduction; P.Cefalu_& B.Reynolds -- PART I: NEW FORMALISMS AND COGNITIVISM -- A Paltry 'Hoop of Gold': Semantics and Systematicity in Early Modern Studies; F.E.Hart -- If: Lear's Feather and the Staging of Science; A.Cook -- Ghosting the Subjunctive: Perceptual Technics in Daniel Defoe's Journal of the Plague Year and Transversal (New) Media; J.Boyle -- What was Pastoral (Again)? More Versions; J.Yates -- PART I: POLITICAL THEOLOGY AND THE RELIGIOUS TURN -- Introduction to a Totem Meal: Hans Kelsen, Carl Schmitt and Political Theology; J.Reinhard Lupton -- The Marlovian Sublime: Imagination and the Problem of Political Theology; G.Hammill -- Humanism and the Resistance to Theology; W.West -- 'Grace to Boot': St. Paul, Messianic Time, and Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale; K.Jackson -- 'Love's Best Habit': Eros, Agape and the Psychotheology of Shakespeare's Sonnets; G.Kuchar -- PART III: REMATERIALISMS -- Against Materialism in Literary Theory; D.Hawkes -- Performativity of the Court: Stuart Masque as Postdramatic Theatre; J.Limon -- 'Shakespeare, Idealism, and Universals: The Significance of Recent work on the Mind'; G.Egan -- Theater and the Scriptural Economy in Doctor Faustus; I.Munro -- Index -- _.
- "This collection looks at the growing rapprochement between contemporary theory and early modern English literary-cultural studies. With sections on posthumanism and cognitive science, political theology, and rematerialism and performance, the essays incorporate recent theoretical inquiries into new readings of early modern texts"--
- 9780230235496 (hardback)
- Includes index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Fayette copy: Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 2010.
- Endowment Note:
- Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries)
View MARC record | catkey: 6970834