The Oxford drawing book, or, The art of drawing, and the theory and practice of perspective, in a series of letters containing progressive information on sketching, drawing, and colouring landscape scenery, animals, and the human figure : with a new method of practical perspective : detailed in a novel, easy, and perspicuous style : for the use of teachers, or for self-instruction / by Nathaniel Whittock ; teacher of drawing and perspective, and lithographist to the University of Oxford ; embellished with upwards of one hundred lithographic drawings ; from real views, taken expressly for this work
- Whittock, N. (Nathaniel), 1791-1860
- Additional Titles:
- Oxford drawing book and Art of drawing, and the theory and practice of perspective
- London : Published by Edward Lacey, 76, St. Paul's Church Yard, [between 1829 and 1848]
- A new and improved edition
- Physical Description:
- vi, 159,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 21 x 28 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Nelson, Horatio, fl. 1836-1849 and Lacey, Edward, publisher
- 105 figures on 27 plates, usually 4 to a plate.
Illustrations by Nathaniel Whittock and Horatio Nelson.
Edward Lacey traded at this address between 1829 and 1848.
Rare Books copy: Has an early inked gift inscription: "Presented, to Lois W. Cheney as a token of regard, by J.C. Cramer." The pair is thought to be James L. Cramer of Saratoga Springs, New York, and Lois W. Cheney of Orange, Massachusetts, who later married. He died May 1, 1881. Cf. Hudson-Mohawk genealogical and family memoirs, edited by Cuyler Reynolds, 1911 (vol. III, p. 1336-1337.) Laid in is a small pencil sketch of a tower signed "L.W.C." and a small printed bookplate.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Rare Books copy: Purchased with funds from the Hastings Libraries Endowment; 2011.
Rare Books copy: Purchased from Philadelphia Rare Books & Manuscripts; 2011.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Archer, J. British domestic architecture, 343.3
Bridson, G. Plant, animal & anatomical illustration, B99
- Endowment Note:
- The Hastings Libraries Endowment
View MARC record | catkey: 7060206