The book of books : the radical impact of the King James Bible 1611-2011 / Melvyn Bragg
- Bragg, Melvyn, 1939-
- Additional Titles:
- Radical impact of the King James Bible
- London : Hodder & Stoughton, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- 370 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Machine generated contents note: pt. ONE FROM HAMPTON COURT TO NEW ENGLAND -- ch. One The Scope of It -- ch. Two The Road to 1611 -- ch. Three The Foundation is Laid -- ch. Four The King James Version is Commissioned -- ch. Five The Four Companies -- ch. Six The Mayflower and the Covenant -- ch. Seven The Bible in the Civil Wars (1642-51) -- ch. Eight The New Map -- ch. Nine The Great Awakening -- pt. TWO THE IMPACT ON CULTURE -- ch. Ten The Royal Society (1660): Early Modern Science and the Bible -- ch. Eleven Language -- ch. Twelve The Bible Itself as Literature -- ch. Thirteen From Shakespeare---The Bible and Literature (1) -- ch. Fourteen American Literature and the Twentieth Century---The Bible and Literature (2) -- ch. Fifteen The Eighteenth-Century Enlightenment -- ch. Sixteen The Matter of Richard Dawkins: The New Enlightenment -- ch. Seventeen Mary Wollstonecraft and William Wilberforce -- pt. THREE THE IMPACT ON SOCIETY -- ch. Eighteen Slavery and the Civil War in America (1) -- ch. Nineteen Slavery and the Civil War in America (2) -- ch. Twenty The Bible and Education -- ch. Twenty-One On a Mission Around the World -- ch. Twenty-Two The Bible and Sex -- ch. Twenty-Three The Bible and Women -- ch. Twenty-Four Christian Socialism and the Social Gospel -- ch. Twenty-Five The Bible and Democracy.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 351-353) and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Harrisburg copy: Purchased with funds from the Penn State Harrisburg Endowment; 2011.
View MARC record | catkey: 7064816