Islam and popular culture in Indonesia and Malaysia / edited by Andrew N. Weintraub
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York : Routledge, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 259 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Weintraub, Andrew N. (Andrew Noah)
- Media, culture and social change in Asia ; 24
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Introduction: the study of Islam and popular culture in Indonesia and Malaysia -- 2.Negotiating mass media interests and heterogeneous Muslim audiences in the contemporary social-political environment of Indonesia / Andrew N. Weintraub -- 3.Multiple Islams, multiple modernities: art cinema in between nationhood and everyday Islam in Bangladesh and Malaysia / Ishadi S.K. -- 4.Upgraded piety and pleasure: the new middle class and Islam in Indonesian popular culture / Zakir Hossain Raju -- 5.Music, Islam, and the commercial media in contemporary Indonesia / Ariel Heryanto -- 6.The Internet, cyber-religion, and authority: the case of the Indonesian Liberal Islam Network / R. Anderson Sutton -- 7."Sex sells, or does it?" Discourses of sex and sexuality in popular women's magazines in contemporary Indonesia / Muhamad Ali -- 8.(Un)framing Muslim sexuality in Dina Zaman's I Am Muslim / Sarah E. Krier -- 9.Sexing Islam: religion and contemporary Malaysian cinema / Washima Che Dan -- 10.Musical modernity, Islamic identity, and Arab aesthetics in Arab-Indonesian orkes gambus / Noritah Omar -- 11.Music as a medium for communication, unity, education, and dakwah / Birgit Berg -- 12.Taking liberties: independent filmmakers representing the tudung in Malaysia / Rhoma Irama -- 13.Holy matrimony? The print politics of polygamy Indonesia / Gaik Cheng Khoo -- 14.Pop, politics and piety: nasyid boy band music in Muslim Southeast Asia / Suzanne Brenner.
- 9780415565189 (cloth : alk. paper), 0415565189 (cloth : alk. paper), 9780203829004 (ebook), and 020382900X (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 7153792