Henry Ives Cobb's Chicago : architecture, institutions, and the making of a modern metropolis / Edward W. Wolner
- Wolner, Edward W.
- Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- x, 384 pages : illustrations, maps ; 29 cm.
- Chicago architecture and urbanism
- Part I. A Proper Bostonian's Chicago -- The Union Club, self-made men, and Chicago's first period of growth -- Three mansions, four self-makers, and Chicago's metropolitan expansion -- The Chicago Opera House and the Owings Building: Skyscrapers and rationalized work I -- Cultural politics and the Newberry Library's compartmentalization of knowledge -- Part II. Cultural institutions and metropolitan maturity -- Cobb's varieties of the Romanesque -- Skyscrapers and rationalized Work II -- Self-made men, civic culture, and the University of Chicago (1889-1893) -- Science, self-makers, and the University's Second Building Campaign (1893-1897) -- Public square and the Federal Building: Design, civic discourse, and rationalized government -- Falls from grace -- Chicago in New York.
- 9780226905617 (cloth : alk. paper)
0226905616 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 7270584