- Part I. The physics of stage machinery -- Basic concepts & definitions -- The equations of constant acceleration -- The force to accelerate mass : F[subscript acceleration] -- The friction force, F[subscript friction] -- The lifting force, F[subscript lifting] -- Maximum power and force -- Basic concepts of rotational motion -- The torque to accelerate mass, T[subscript accel] -- The torque to overcome friction, T[subscript friction] -- The lifting torque, T[subscript lift] -- Maximum power and torque -- Combining multiple motions -- Part II. Stage machinery components -- Safety -- Actuators -- Speed reduction -- Shafting -- Bearings and wheels -- Wire rope and sheaves -- Cable drums -- Screw mechanisms -- Brakes -- Control components -- Frames and framing -- Part III. A mechanical design process -- Mechanical design in theatre -- Developing a design specification -- Concept design -- Detail design -- Design for manufacture -- Part IV. A compendium of stage machinery -- A compendium of stage machinery -- Winches -- Turntable drives -- Lifts -- Tracked scenery.
- "Scenic effects involving rotating turntables, tracking stage wagons, and the vertical movement of curtains and painted drops have become common in both Broadway and Regional theatre productions. The machines that drive these effects range from small pneumatic cylinders pushing loads of a few pounds an inch or two, to 40 horsepower winches running multi-ton scenery at speeds 6 feet per second or more. Usually this machinery is designed by theatre technicians specifically for a particular show's effect. Compared to general industry, this design process is short (often only a few days long), it is done by one person because design teams are rare, and it is done in the absence of reference material specifically addressing the issues involved. The main goal of this book is to remedy this last situation." "The book's emphasis is an following standard engineering design and construction practices, and developing machines that are functional, efficient to build, easily maintained, and safe to use." --Book Jacket.
- 9780240806310 (pbk. : alk. paper)
024080631X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 423-426) and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- UP-PAT copy: Selected to honor Eric Rouse, on the occasion of receiving tenure-promotion; and purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 2011.
View MARC record | catkey: 7277168