Dual disasters : humanitarian aid after the 2004 Tsunami / Jennifer Hyndman
- Hyndman, Jennifer
- Sterling, VA : Kumarian Press, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- xvii, 171 pages : illustrations, map ; 23 cm
- Siting conflict and peace in post-tsunami Sri Lanka and Aceh, Indonesia -- Threats, fears, and aid in post-tsunami Sri Lanka -- Transforming widowhood: conflict and loss in post-tsunami Sri Lanka -- Acts of aid: humanitarianism meets neoliberalism in a War Zone -- Two solitudes: post-tsunami and post-conflict Aceh.
- The 2004 tsunami was massive in every respect: the earthquake that preceded it was one of the largest ever recorded, the number of people killed or displaced is estimated at well over one million, and the international community donated billions of dollars to the relief effort. In some cases the tsunami struck regions already embroiled in other kinds of catastrophes -violent conflict and poverty. The tsunami's presence not only wreaked havoc as a natural disaster, but it left an enduring mark on the political dynamics and power struggles of these places. --
Dual Disasters describes what happens when human and "natural" disasters meet. Focusing specifically on Indonesia and Sri Lanka, countries that had complex emergencies long before the tsunami arrived, Hyndman shows how the storm's arrival shifted the goals of international aid, altered relations between and within states and accelerated or slowed peacebuilding efforts. With updated comments on the 2010 Haiti earthquake, the book guides readers deftly through the multifaceted forces at work in modern humanitarian disasters. --Book Jacket.
- Indian Ocean Tsunami, 2004
- Tsunami relief—Indonesia—Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam
- Tsunami relief—Sri Lanka
- Humanitarian assistance—Indonesia—Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam
- Humanitarian assistance—Sri Lanka
- Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam (Indonesia)—Social conditions
- Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam (Indonesia)—Politics and government
- Sri Lanka—Social conditions
- Sri Lanka—Politics and government
- 9781565493353 (pbk. : alk. paper)
1565493354 (pbk. : alk. paper)
9781565493360 (cloth : alk. paper)
1565493362 (cloth : alk. paper)
9781565493827 (library ebook)
1565493826 (library ebook)
9781565493834 (consumer ebook)
1565493834 (consumer ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 139-158) and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Earth and Mineral Sciences copy: Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 2011.
- Endowment Note:
- Paterno Libraries Endowment
View MARC record | catkey: 7281380