The Bass handbook of leadership : theory, research, and managerial applications / Bernard M. Bass, with Ruth Bass
- PART 1. INTRODUCTION: 1. Concepts of leadership ; 2. Types and taxonomies ; 3. Models and theories of leadership -- PART 2. PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES OF LEADERS: 4. Traits of leadership (1904-1970) ; 5. Traits of leadership (1970-2006) ; 6. Activity level ; 7. Authoritarianism, power orientation, Machiavellianism, and leadership ; 8. Values, self-esteem, well-being, and leadership ; 9. Ethics and leadership -- PART 3. PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES OF LEADERSHIP: 10. Leadership and accorded status, esteem, and trust ; 11. Power and leadership ; 12. Leadership and the distribution of power ; 13. Resolution of conflict ; 14. Authority, responsibility, accountability, and leadership ; 15. Reinforcement and instrumental leadership ; 16. Followers and mutual influence on leadership -- PART 4. STYLES OF LEADERSHIP: 17. Autocratic versus democratic leadership ; 18. Directive versus participative leadership ; 19. Task versus relations orientation ; 20. Initiation versus consideration -- PART 5. THE "NEW" LEADERSHIP: CHARISMATIC AND TRANSFORMATIONAL LEADERSHIP: 21. Charismatic leadership ; 22. Transformational leadership -- PART 6. MANAGEMENT AND ORGANIZATIONS: 23. Managerial work ; 24. Strategic and executive leadership ; 25. Environment and organizational effects ; 26. Leadership in groups and teams ; 27. Effects of task and technology ; 28. Stress effects ; 29. Effects of space, virtuality, and substitutes for leadership ; 30. Transfer and succession -- PART 7. DIVERSITY AND CULTURAL EFFECTS: 31. Women as leaders and followers ; 32. Minorities as leaders and followers ; 33. Globalization and cross-national effects -- PART 8. DEVELOPMENT AND IDENTIFICATION OF LEADERS AND LEADERSHIP: 34. Training and development ; 35. Assessment, appraisal, and selection -- PART 9. THE FUTURE: 36. Looking ahead
- "For thirty-three years and through three editions, Bass & Stogdill's Handbook of Leadership has been the indispensable bible for every serious student of leadership. This completely revised and updated fourth edition reflects the growth and changes in the study of leadership over the past seventeen years, with new chapters on transformational leadership, ethics, presidential leadership, and executive leadership. Throughout the Handbook, the contributions from cognitive social psychology and the social, political, communications, and administrative sciences have been expanded."--BOOK JACKET.
- 9780743215527 and 0743215524
- Rev. and updated ed. of: Bass & Stogdill's handbook of leadership, 1990.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 1219-1436) and indexes.
View MARC record | catkey: 7281856