Section 1983 litigation / Martin A. Schwartz, Kathryn R. Urbonya
- Schwartz, Martin A.
- [Washington, D.C.] : Federal Judicial Center, 2008.
- 2nd ed.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (vii, 239 pages)
- Additional Creators:
- Urbonya, Kathryn R., 1953- and Federal Judicial Center
- Introduction to [section] 1983 litigation -- Elements of claim, functional role, pleading, and jurisdiction -- Section 1983 plaintiffs -- Constitutional rights enforceable under [section] 1983 -- Enforcement of federal statutes under [section] 1983 -- Section 1983 defendants -- Color of state law and state action -- Causation -- Capacity of claim: Individual versus official capacity -- Municipal liability -- Supervisory liability -- Relationship between individual and municipal liability -- State liability: The Eleventh Amendment -- Personal capacity claims: Absolute immunities -- Personal liability: Qualified immunity -- Exhaustion of state remedies -- Preclusion defenses -- Statute of limitations -- Survivorship and wrongful death -- Abstention doctrines -- Monetary relief -- Attorneys' fees.
- Title from title screen (FJC web site, viewed on Oct. 6, 2008).
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (page 207) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 7284207