The origins of Syrian nationhood : histories, pioneers and identity / edited by Adel Beshara
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York : Routledge, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 390 pages ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Beshara, Adel
- Routledge studies in Middle Eastern history ; 10
- The name of Syria in ancient and modern usage / Lamia Rustum Shehadeh -- Communalism as a factor in the rise of the Syria idea in the 1800s and the early 1900s / Arnon Groiss -- Butrus al-Bustani : Syria's ideologue of the age / Stephen Sheehi -- Jurji Zaydan's role in the Syro-Arab nahda : a re-evaluation / Thomas Philipp -- Pioneers of Syrian patriotism and identity : a re-evaluation of Khalil al-Khuri's contribution / Fruma Zachs -- Henri Lammens and Syrian nationalism / Asher Kaufman -- Rashid Rida : on the way to Syrian nationalism in the shade of Islam and Arabism / Eyal Zisser -- A rebel Syrian : Gibran Kahlil Gibran / Adel Beshara -- Between patriotism and nationalism : Ameen Rihani's vision for Lebanon and Syria / Nijmeh Hajjar -- Syrianist orientations in the thought of Mikhail Nuaymah / John Daye -- The national role of the Syro-Lebanese of Egypt : the case of Farah Antun, Mayy Ziadah and al-Kawakibi / Caesar E. Farah -- Constructions of Syrian identity in the women's press in Egypt / Marilyn Booth -- Faysal : the first king of Syria / Muhannad Salhi -- King Abdullah's project of greater Syria : a historical appreciation / C. Ernest Dawn -- Nationalism, diaspora and "civilisational mission" : the case of Syrian nationalism in Latin America between World War I and World War II / Christoph Schumann -- Khalil Saadeh and Syrian nationalism in the aftermath of World War I / Sofia Saadeh -- Antun Saadeh : the architect of Syrian nationalism / Adel Beshara.
- 9780415615044 (hardback), 0415615046 (hardback), 9780203816776 (ebook), and 0203816773 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 7291035