Managing online instructor workload [electronic resource] : strategies for finding balance and success / Simone C.O. Conceição, Rosemary M. Lehman
- Conceição, Simone C. O., 1963-
- San Francisco, CA : Jossey-Bass, 
- Copyright Date:
- 1st ed.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xvi, 115 pages) : illustrations
- Additional Creators:
- Lehman, Rosemary M., 1932-
- Machine generated contents note: One.Issues and Challenges When Teaching Online -- Institutional Issues and Challenges -- Instructional Issues and Challenges -- Our Study on Instructor Workload When Teaching Online -- Summary -- Two.Instructors' Stories for Balancing Workload -- Co-teaching as a Strategy for Balancing Workload -- Planning Ahead as a Way to Predict Workload -- Giving Individual Feedback as a Workload Management Strategy -- Managing Time, Rather Than Time Managing You -- Blocking Out Time for the Online Course -- Teaching Online During Short Terms -- Using Time Allocation Strategies When Teaching for Multiple Institutions -- Teaching Online Exclusively from Home -- Managing Workload Based on Years of Experience -- Teaching Online for a Variety of Institutions -- Cohort Program as a Time-Saver -- Managing Similar Tasks When Designing for Multiple Courses -- Teaching a Recurring Mixed-Mode Online Course -- Managing Workload When Current Information Drives Content -- Summary -- Three.Looking at Workload from a Design Perspective -- Identifying Course Tasks -- Why It Is Important to Use an Instructional Design Process -- Design Framework for Creating a Sense of Presence -- Using a Template to Manage Tasks and Prioritize Time -- Summary -- Four.Managing Tasks and Prioritizing Time -- Creating a New Online Course -- Converting a Face-to-Face Course -- Revising an Existing Online Course -- Summary -- Five.Using Workload Strategies for Maintaining Quality of Life -- Design Strategies -- Support Strategies -- Teaching Strategies -- Time Allocation Strategies -- Summary -- Six.Final Thoughts and Practical Implications for Balancing Workload -- Teaching from an Open Perspective -- Adapting the Course Design -- Modifying Workload Strategies -- Rethinking How to Prioritize Time and Manage Workload -- Practical Implications for Balancing Workload.
- "A large number of institutions are now providing online programs, requiring instructors to change the way they think about teaching and master a distinct set of workload management skills. The first book to discuss workload management for online instructors, Managing Online Instructor Workload offers practical strategies, advice, and examples for how to prioritize, balance, and manage an online teaching workload. Based on surveys and interviews, the timely and comprehensive insight in this book is essential for online instructors, instructional designers, faculty developers and others involved in online learning"--Provided by publisher.
- 9781118075524 (ebk)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 7293248