Victorious ones : Jain images of perfection / Phyllis Granoff, editor
- Additional Titles:
- Jain images of perfection
- New York : Rubin Museum of Art ; Ahmedabad, India : In association with Mapin Pub. ; Ocean Township, NJ : Grantha Corp., 2009.
Easthampton, MA : Distributors, Antique Collector's Club.
- Physical Description:
- 308 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), color map ; 30 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Granoff, P. E. (Phyllis Emily), 1947- and Rubin Museum of Art (New York, N.Y.)
- Victorious across eternity : the lives of the Jain Tīrthaṅkaras / Paul Dundas -- The cosmic man and the human condition / John E. Cort -- Contemplating the Jain universe : visions of order and chaos / Phyllis Granoff -- The mathematics of the Jain cosmos / Kim Plofker -- Lokākāśa and Lokathātu : a comparison of Jain and Buddhist cosmology / Padmanabh S. Jaini -- Sacred place and structured space : temple architecture and the pilgrimage in Jainism / Julia A.B. Hegewald -- Icons in the manifold : Jain sculpture in early and medieval India / Sonya Rhie Quintanilla -- Digambara narrative painting of Southern India / Sonya Rhie Quintanilla -- Contemporary Jain maṇḍala rituals / John E. Cort.
- "With essays by leading scholars of Asian religions and art, this catalog illuminates the core ideas of Jainism and the founding figures of Jainism, the Jinas, "Conquerors" or Tirthankaras, and the various spaces they sanctify. The Jinas, having achieved liberation and escaped from the world in which we live, are nonetheless considered to remain accessible to us as objects of our devotion. They are accessible to their worshipers through their teachings and their images, although some Jains reject image worship. Images of the Jinas and temples are said to exist throughout the vast reaches of the cosmos. We see them carefully depicted on painted maps of the Jain universe. Closer to home they are worshiped at famous pilgrimage sites and in private domestic shrines. This publication brings together sculptures and paintings of the Jinas, depictions of many kinds of Jain sacred spaces, as well as illustrated manuscripts of Jain sacred texts. Many of the objects discussed and illustrated here have never before been published." --Book Jacket.
- 9788189995294 (Mapin : HC)
8189995294 (Mapin : HC)
9780944142820 (Grantha : HC)
0944142826 (Grantha : HC)
9780944142837 (Grantha : PB)
0944142834 (Grantha : PB)
- "Published in conjunction with an exhibition organized and presented by the Rubin Museum of Art, New York, September 28, 2009 through February 15, 2010"--T.p. verso.
DIST. BY ANTIQUE COLLECTORS' CLUB. CO-PUB. W/ RUBIN MUSEUM. EXHIBITION CATALOG. 188 COLOR ILLUS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 300-305) and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- UP-PAT copy: Purchased with funds from the Barbara S. Klein Libraries Collection Endowment in Art History and Asian Studies; 2011.
- Endowment Note:
- Barbara S. Klein Libraries Collection Endowment in Art History and International Affairs
View MARC record | catkey: 7293412