Islam and democracy [electronic resource] / by Julie Gal
- Gal, Julie
- New York, NY : Filmakers Library, 1997.
- Physical Description:
- 1 streaming video file (58 min.)
- ezaccess.libraries.psu.edu , Access restricted to subscribers.
- Language Note:
- With fundamentalism sweeping the Islamic world, is there a chance for a moderate, democratic voice to be heard? This disturbing film captures the intensity of Islamic fundamentalists and the willingness of extremists to eliminate anyone with an opposing point of view. While not all fundamentalists call for violence, less militant groups such as the Muslim Brotherhood are intransigent in their ultimate aim of eliminating minorities, establishing theocracies in the Middle East, and overthrowing Israel. The filmmaker obtained a rare interview with Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman before the World Trade Center bombing. In it, the Sheik applauds the assassination of Farag Foda, a spokesman for Egyptian democracy, who was gunned down shortly after he was interviewed in this film. The Sheik also calls for the "extermination" of Mubarak s regime. Candid interviews with Arab leaders, including President Mubarak of Egypt and King Hussein of Jordan, acknowledge the difficulties of having a Western style democracy in countries where so many are illiterate and impoverished. In addition, a strict adherence to the Koran precludes such democratic principles as minority and women s rights. American Congressman Lee Hamilton, Chair of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Edward P. Djerejian and others offer a broader perspective to one of the world s most explosive issues.
- Audience Notes:
- For College; Adult audiences.
- Originally released as DVD.
Title from resource description page (viewed May 24, 2011).
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Alexandria, VA : Alexander Street Press, 2011. (Filmakers library online). Available via World Wide Web.
- Middle East Studies Association, 1994
View MARC record | catkey: 7400062