The psychology of music performance anxiety / Dianna T. Kenny
- Kenny, Dianna T.
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 365 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Phenomenology of music performance anxiety -- Summary -- 2.Conceptual framework -- Philosophy, psychology, and psychological perspectives -- Definitions of anxiety and their contribution to definitions of music performance anxiety -- Anxiety: biological and environmental interactions -- Summary -- 3.The anxiety disorders -- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV-TR) -- Summary -- 4.Defining music performance anxiety -- Constructions of music performance anxiety -- Differential diagnosis of music performance anxiety -- Comorbidity and music performance anxiety -- Psychological characteristics of people who suffer from anxiety -- Summary -- 5.Epidemiology of music performance anxiety -- Epidemiology of the anxiety disorders -- Epidemiology of music performance anxiety -- Self-reported causes of music performance anxiety -- Summary -- 6.Theoretical contributions to understanding music performance anxiety -- Psychoanalytic/psychodynamic theories -- Attachment and relational theories of anxiety -- Behavioral theories of anxiety -- Cognitive theories of anxiety -- Emotion-based theories of anxiety -- Psychophysiological and neurochemical theories of anxiety -- Theories of performance: how to achieve optimal performance -- Theories of music performance anxiety -- Summary -- 7.Treatment -- Psychoanalytic/psychodynamic therapies -- Behavioral, cognitive, and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) -- New wave cognitive behavioral therapies -- Multimodal therapies -- Other interventions for music performance anxiety -- Emotion-based therapies -- Performance-based approaches -- Pharmacotherapy for anxiety disorders -- Treatment of anxiety disorders in children and adolescents -- Summary -- 8.Severe music performance anxiety: phenomenology and theorizing -- Music performance anxiety as a disorder of the self -- Method of analysis -- Summary -- 9.Common themes in the lives of performing musicians -- Musical identity -- Sense of self -- Onset of music performance anxiety -- Causes of music performance anxiety -- Phenomenology of music performance anxiety -- What our teachers told us -- Situational factors that may exacerbate music performance anxiety -- Self-help strategies: the wisdom of performing musicians -- Summary -- 10.Prevention and pedagogy -- Parenting the musically gifted child -- Teaching the musically gifted child -- The audition -- Interview with Stephanie McCallum -- Summary -- Conclusion.
- 9780199586141 and 0199586144
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -342) and indexes.
View MARC record | catkey: 7403344