The play's the thing : teachers' roles in children's play / Elizabeth Jones, Gretchen Reynolds ; foreword to the first edition by Elizabeth Prescott ; foreword to the second edition by Kathy Hirsh-Pasek and Roberta Michnick Golinkoff
- Early childhood education series
- Understanding and supporting children's play -- Teacher as stage manager -- Teacher as mediator -- Teacher as player -- Teacher behavior that interrupts play -- Teacher as scribe -- Teacher as assessor and communicator -- Teacher as planner -- Playing attention to play -- A sense of the past and the future.
- "Responding to current debates on the place of play in schools, the authors have extensively revised their groundbreaking book. They explain how and why play is a critical part of children's development, as well as the central role adults have to promote it. This classic textbook and popular practitioner resource offers systematic descriptions and analyses of the different roles a teacher adopts to support play, including those of stage manager, mediator, player, scribe, assessor, communicator, and planner. This new edition has been expanded to include significant developments in the broadening landscape of early learning and care, such as assessment, diversity and culture, intentional teaching, inquiry, and the construction of knowledge."--Publisher description.
- 9780807752418 (pbk. : alk. paper) and 080775241X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 7515099