Disenchanting India : organized rationalism and criticism of religion in India / Johannes Quack
- Quack, Johannes
- New York : Oxford University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xvii, 362 pages : illustrations, map ; 24 cm
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I Object of Inquiry: Indian Rationalists, Modes of Unbelief and Disenchantment -- 1.Indian Rationalists -- 2.Modes of (Non-)Religiosity and Unbelief -- 3.Rationalization and Disenchantment -- 4.Methodological Remarks and Research Setting -- pt. II History: Roots of Organized Rationalism in India -- 5."Narrative" of the Indian Roots of Rationalism -- 6.Evolution of Rationalism in Colonial India -- 7.Influence of the English Rationalist Movement -- 8.Organized Rationalism in 20th-century India -- 9.Recent History of Organized Rationalism in Maharashtra -- pt. III Ethnography: Maharashtra Andhashraddha Nirmulan Samiti (ANiS) -- 10.ANiS in Action: The Science-Van -- 11.Organizational Structure and Setup of ANiS -- 12.Profile and Agenda of ANiS -- 13.Individual Interpretations and Applications of Rationalism -- 14.Rationalism as a Way of Life -- 15.ANiS in Context -- 16.Impact of ANiS -- pt. IV Theory: The Mode of Unbelief of ANiS -- Epilogue: Disenchanting India Contextualized -- Empirical Question: A Transnational Rationalist Movement? -- Theory: Disenchantment as Problematic Master-Narrative -- Metatheory: Prospective Reflections on "Researching Rationalism" -- References -- Appendixes -- 1.Transliteration of Hindi and Marathi Terms -- 2.Interviews and Documented Conversations -- 3.Anti-Superstition Bill -- 4.Original German Quotations.
- 9780199812608 (hardcover : alk. paper)
0199812608 (hardcover : alk. paper)
9780199812622 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0199812624 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 7526105