Decolonizing democracy : transforming the social contract in India / Christine Keating
- Keating, Christine
- University Park : Pennsylvania State University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- ix, 155 pages ; 24 cm
- Introduction : decolonizing democracy -- Fraternalist and paternalist approaches to colonial rule -- Resistant convergences : anticolonial feminist nationalism -- Framing the postcolonial social contract -- Challenging political marginalization : The women's reservation bill -- Legal pluralism and gender justice -- Conclusion : building a nondomination contract.
- "Analyzes the movement for Indian independence, the framing of the Indian Constitution, and contemporary contestations over women's legal and political status as crucial moments of transition in which feminist and other progressive activists in India have challenged racialized and gendered underpinnings of democracy's social contract"--Provided by publisher.
- 9780271048635 (cloth : alk. paper)
0271048638 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -142) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 7526800