The plans that failed : an economic history of the GDR / André Steiner ; translated from the German by Ewald Osers
- Steiner, André
- Uniform Title:
- Von Plan zu Plan. English
- New York : Berghahn Books, 2010.
- 1st ed.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 227 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Studies in German history ; v. 13
- A difficult start? : initial conditions in the Soviet occupation zone -- The establishment of the planned economy 1948-1953 -- Between shortages and growth 1953-1961 -- The 'golden' sixties? : economic reform between dawn and crisis 1961-1971 -- 'Unity of economic and social policy' 1971-1982 -- Continued economic decline 1982-1989.
- "The establishment of the Communist social model in one part of Germany was a result of international postwar developments, of the Cold War waged by East and West, and of the resultant partition of Germany." This study offers an in-depth exploration of the GDR economy's starting conditions and the obstacles to growth it confronted during the consolidation phase.--[book cover]
- 9781845457488 (hc : alk. paper)
184545748X (hc : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 7542586