Agricultural biodiversity and biotechnology in economic development [electronic resource] / [edited] by Joseph Cooper, Leslie Marie Lipper, David Zilberman
- New York : Springer Science+Business Media, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xi, 499 pages) : illustrations, map
- Additional Creators:
- Cooper, Joseph (Composer), Lipper, Leslie, and Zilberman, David, 1947-
- Natural resource management and policy ; 27
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Introduction : agricultural biodiversity and biotechnology : economic issues and framework for analysis / Joseph C. Cooper / Leslie Lipper / David Zilberman -- 2.Major processes shaping the evolution of agriculture, biotechnology, and biodiversity / David Zilberman / Leslie Lipper -- 3.Private research and public goods : implications of biotechnology for biodiversity / Terri Raney / Prabhu Pingali -- 4.The economic value of genetic diversity for crop improvements : theory and application / R. David Simpson -- 5.Managing crop biological diversity on farms / Melinda Smale -- 6.In situ conservation : methods and costs / Detlef Virchow -- 7.Understanding the factors driving on-farm crop genetic diversity : empirical evidence from Mexico / Eric Van Dusen -- 8.Costs of conservation : national and international roles / Detlef Virchow -- 9.The sharing of benefits from the utilization of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture / Joseph C. Cooper -- 10.Economic criteria for the multilateral distribution of agricultural biodiversity conservation funds / Joseph C. Cooper -- 11.Modelin the impacts of bargaining power in the multilateral distribution of agricultural biodiversity conservation funds / Frederic Chantreuil / Joseph C. Cooper -- 12.Agricultural biotechnology : concepts, evolution, and applications / Enrico Porceddu / Maria Jose de O. Zimmermann -- 13.The potential of biotechnology to promote agricultural development and food security / Hoan T. Le -- 14.Impact of biotechnology on crop genetic diversity / Cherisa Yarkin / David Zilberman / Matin Qaim -- 15.Establishing effective intellectual property rights and reducing barriers to entry in Canadian agricultural biotechnology research / Derek Stovin / Peter W. B. Phillips -- 16.Adoption of biotechnology in developing countries / David Zilberman / Holly Ameden / Matin Qaim -- 17.Technological change in agriculture and poverty reduction : the potential role of biotechnology / Elisabeth Sadoulet / David Zilberman / Gregory Graff / Alain de Janvry -- 18.Towards an intellectual property clearinghouse for agricultural biotechnology / Gregory Graff / David Zilberman -- 19.Policies to promote the conservation and sustainable use of agricultural biodiversity / Leslie Lipper / David Zilberman -- 20.International treaty on plant genetic resources for food and agriculture and other international agreements on plant genetic resources and related biotechnolgies / Jose Esquinas-Alcazar.
- "This volume brings together three years of collaborative research aimed to develop a coherent, economics-based approach to policy-making in the management of biotechnology and biodiversity. It explores the economics of both the conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture and the adoption of molecular biotechnology, the economics of whether or not their respective policies should be linked and, if so, how."--Jacket.
- 0387254072 (alk. paper)
9780387254074 (alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
View MARC record | catkey: 7543157