Social and psychological disorder in the works of Edgar Allan Poe / Claudia Durst Johnson, book editor
- Farmington Hills, Mich. : Greenhaven Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 163 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Johnson, Claudia Durst, 1938-
- Social issues in literature
- tThe life of Edgar Allan Poe / Eric W. Carlson -- The sources of Poe's youthful despair / Jeffrey Meyers -- Poe's derangement in the late 1840s / Scott Peeples -- Poe's characters as self-portraits / Claudia C. Morrison -- Madness as realism, not supernaturalism / Vincent Buranelli -- Edgar Allan Poe and the insanity plea / John Cleman -- Abnormality and the confusion of life and death / Charles E. May -- Madness in Poe's tales as a means of escape / Daniel Hoffman -- Confessing shrewdness to deny madness in Poe's stories / Christopher Benfey -- The mad chamber of the mind in Poe's poetry / Benjamin F. Fisher -- Death, sex, and horror in Poe's poetry / Edward H. Davidson -- Insanity as the way to salvation in "The pit and the pendulum" / James Lundquist -- Poe's fixation on the death of beautiful women / Karen Weekes -- "Ligeia" as a tale of obsession and hallucination / Roy P. Basler -- The obsession of the stalker / Kathleen Megan -- Patricide without remorse / Manuel Roig-Franzia -- Journey of a schizophrenic / Elyn R. Saks -- The insanity defense / Lara Bricker.
- Great literary works resonate with readers not only because of well-developed characters and plots, but also because they often reflect important social themes. The Social Issues in Literature series brings together the disciplines of sociology and literature in a unique format designed to support cross-curricular studies. Each volume explores a work of literature through the lens of the major social issue reflected in it, and features carefully-selected content representing a variety of perspectives. All volumes in the series contain biographical and critical information about the author; secondary excerpts offering both historical and contemporary views of the highlighted social issue; a timeline of the author's life; a "For Further Reading" section of other works on the issue; and a detailed subject index. --Book Jacket.
- 9780737750164 (hardcover)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 154-157) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 7653537