Geology of coal / by Otto Stutzer ... Translated and revised by Adolph C. Noé ...
- Stutzer, Otto, 1881-1936
- Chicago, Ill. : The University of Chaicago press, 
- Physical Description:
- xiii,461 p.incl. illustrations,tables : maps (part folded) diagrams (part folded) ; 24 1/2 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Noé, A. C. (Adolf Carl), 1873-1939 and Cady, Gilbert H. (Gilbert Haven), 1882-
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- COAL AS A ROCK SURVEY OF THE CHEMICAL AND PHYSICAL PROPERTIES OF COAL: The chemical composition of coal -- The chemical constitution of coal -- The behavior of coal when heated in the absence of air and in free air -- The calorific value of coal -- The weathering of coal -- The spontaneous combustion of coal -- Miscellaneous physical properties of coal: specific gravity, color, juster, streak, fracture, effect of x-Rays, conductibility of heat, specific heat -- THE MICROSCOPIC EXAMINATION OF COAL: Preparation of coal specimens -- The actual microscopic examination -- THE ORIGIN OF COAL: The vegetable origin of coal -- The change of plant material into coal -- Coal formation and hydrocarbon enrichment -- The activities of microorganisms in the decomposition of plants and in the formation of coal -- The lignin-versus-cellulose controversy -- The brown-coal-bituminous-coal-anthracite series -- Laboratory attempts to imitate incoalation -- The origin of the individual varieties of coal -- THE PROCESSING OF COAL: The processing of brown-coal -- The processing of bituminous coal -- ORIGIN OF COAL BEDS: Allochthonous and autochthonous coal beds -- Paralic and limnic coal basins -- Diastrophism and coal deposition -- Climatic and atmospheric conditions during the time of coal accumulation -- Settling of coal seams -- The time needed for the deposition of a plant mass sufficient to form an autochthonous coal seam -- and STRATIGRAPHY OF COAL DEPOSITS: Geologic age of coal deposits -- Size and extent of the coal deposits -- Number of coal beds and their grouping, and the percentage of coal in a coal basin -- Thickness of coal beds and minimum thickness of workable beds -- Persistence and lateral variations in coal beds and interbedded sediments -- Roof and floor of coal beds -- General remarks about the rocks in coal basins -- Some qualities of rocks accompanying coal beds which are important in the mining of the coal -- Coal Beds at the base of coal measures and interbedded coal beds -- The influence of coal beds upon the color of the overlying and underlying strata -- The identification of coal beds by index layers -- The naming of coal beds -- Deposits of other useful minerals appearing with coal -- THE PETROGRAPHY OF COAL BEDS: Varieties of coal material -- Lamination of coal -- Certain structures, textures, and jointing phenomena due to pressure and tension -- Gases in coal beds -- Petroleum in coal beds -- Mineralized and bituminized wood in brown-coal -- Animal remains in coal beds -- Water in coal beds -- Rocks and minerals in coal beds -- The lateral change of coal beds into rock -- The effect of time, pressure, and heat on the rank of coal (causes of advancement in rank) -- Changes in the coal beds produced by water: rank improvement, deterioration, mineralization, and development of sootiness -- Changes in the coal bed produced by atmospheric oxygen: oxidation of coal beds, burning of coal beds, and baking of rocks by subterranean fires -- DISTURBANCES OF COAL BEDS: Tectonic geology -- The destruction of coal beds by water and ice -- The influence of coal beds on the geothermic gradient -- Surface damage due to mining.
- "The present work ... is in part a translation of the second edition of Kohle (alllemeine kohlengeologie) by Otto Stutzer and in part a translation of a revision and abbreviation of certain chapters of that edition by Professor Stutzer ... In preparing the book for the press the publishers have had the editorial assistance of Dr. Gilbert H. Cady."--Pref.
- Bibliography Note:
- "References" at end of each chapter.
View MARC record | catkey: 765767