Letters to power : public advocacy without public intellectuals / Samuel McCormick
- McCormick, Samuel, 1978-
- University Park, Pa. : Pennsylvania State University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 197 pages ; 24 cm.
- Minor political rhetorics, major western thinkers -- Remaining concealed: learned protest between stoicism and the state -- Mirrors for the queen: exemplary figures on the eve of Civil War -- Performative publicity: the critique of private reason -- Hidden behind the dash: techniques of unrecognizability -- Oppositional politics in the age of academia.
- "Discusses the role of the intellectual in public life. Argues that the scarcity of public intellectuals among today's academics is a challenge to us to explore alternative, more subtle forms of political intelligence. Looks to ancient, medieval, and modern traditions of learned advocacy"--Provided by publisher.
- 9780271050737 (cloth : alk. paper)
027105073X (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 7664826