The Grove encyclopedia of classical art & architecture [electronic resource] / edited by Gordon Campbell
- Additional Titles:
- Grove encyclopedia of classical art and architecture and Encyclopedia of classical art and architecture
- Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, [2007-]
- Copyright Date:
- Additional Creators:
- Campbell, Gordon, 1944-
- V. 1. Abacus to Lyson and Kallikles tomb -- v. 2. Macedonia to Zygouries.
- A reference resource for the visual arts of the Classical period. It features an abundance of in-depth articles on this field of enduring importance--from biographies to thematic entries on architecture, ceramics, metalwork, mosaics, painting and sculpture. The resource provides art historical and cultural information about art forms, artists, rulers, philosophers, architecture, renowned works of art, archaeological sites and stylistic developments. Notable important subjects include the Apollo Belvedere, Carthage, the Euphronios krater, the Laokoon, Troy, the Venus de Milo and much more. Encompassing over four thousand years of artistry and innovation, this resource spans every art form, medium and civilization from Cycladic, Minoan, Helladic, and Etruscan art to the fall of the Roman Empire. Drawing upon the unparalleled scholarship in The Dictionary of Art (1996), and adding dozens of newly commissioned entries on recent archaeological discoveries, fully updated bibliography and over 600 illustrations, this publication sets a new standard in Classical studies.
- 9780195325218 (e-ref. ed.)
0195325214 (e-ref. ed.)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in printed form.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Online copy: Purchased with funds from the Hastings Libraries Endowment; 2011.
- Endowment Note:
- The Hastings Libraries Endowment
View MARC record | catkey: 7664834