"Multiplication is for white people" : raising expectations for other people's children / Lisa Delpit
- Delpit, Lisa
- Additional Titles:
- Raising expectations for other people's children
- New York : New Press, 2012. and New York : Distributed by Perseus Distribution.
- Physical Description:
- xx, 224 pages : illustrations ; 22 cm
- There is no achievement gap at birth -- Infinite capacity -- Stuff you never would say : successful literacy instruction in elementary classrooms -- Warm demanders : the importance of teachers in the lives of children of poverty -- Skin-deep learning : teaching those who learn differently -- "I don't like it when they don't say my name right" : why "reforming" can't mean "whitening" -- Picking up the broom : demanding critical thinking -- How would a fool do it? : assessment -- Shooting hoops : what can we learn about the drive for excellence? -- Invisibility, disidentification, and negotiating blackness on campus -- Will it help the sheep? : university, community, and purpose.
- Presents a striking picture of the elements of contemporary public education that conspire against the prospects for poor children of color, creating a persistent gap in achievement during the school years that has eluded several decades of reform.
- 9781595580467 and 1595580468
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -224).
View MARC record | catkey: 7774813