Brill's companion to Aphrodite / edited by Amy C. Smith and Sadie Pickup
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2010.
- Physical Description:
- xvii, 452 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Smith, Amy Claire, 1966- and Pickup, Sadie
- Introduction -- Flourishing Aphrodite : an overview / Vinciane Pirenne-Delforge -- Budding Aphrodite : into the future / Sadie Pickup and Amy C. Smith -- Part I: Aphrodite's identity -- Aphrodite : the goddess of appearances / Vered Lev Kenaan -- O quam te memorem, virgo? Interpreting Venus in Aeneid 1.314-417 / James Burbidge -- Aphrodite enoplion / Stephanie L. Budin -- Rethinking Aphrodite as a goddess at work / Gabriella Pironti -- Part II: Aphrodite's companions and relations -- The song of Ares and Aphrodite : asertu on skheria / Annette Teffeteller -- Father-daughter dynamics in the Iliad : the role of Aphrodite in defining Zeus' regime / Kassandra Jackson -- Part III: The spread of Aphrodite's cults -- Images of cypriot Aphrodite in her sanctuaries during the age of the city-kingdoms / Anja Ulbrich -- Aphrodite on the Akropolis : evidence from attic pottery / Elisabetta Pala -- Aphrodite and the fleet in classical Athens / Chryssanthi Papadopoulou -- Encountering the world of Aphrodite on the western Greek mainland / Alexander Nagel -- The architectural setting of the Knidian Aphrodite / Sophie Montel -- Interactive Aphrodite : Greek responses to the idea of Aphrodite as ancestress of the Romans / Jenny Wallensten -- Part IV: The reception of the goddess -- Augustan Aphrodites : the allure of Geek art in Roman visual culture / Rachel Kousser -- Aphrodite and the spectacle of the amphitheatre in Roman Africa / Margherita Carucci -- Aphrodite in late antique and medieval Byzantium / Anthousa Papagiannaki -- Aphrodite deconstructed : Botticelli's Venus and Mars in the National Gallery, London / David Bellingham -- Reflections in a mirror : Bonnard's Aphrodite / Anna Gruetzner Robins.
- "Brill's Companion to Aphrodite brings together an international and multidisciplinary team of experts in the study of Aphrodite - one of the best known, yet ambiguous and complex Graeco-Roman deities. The contributions, which reevaluate conventional approaches to this remarkable goddess, are thematically grouped in four parts according to aspects of the goddess: 'Aphrodite's Identity'; 'Aphrodite's Companions and Relations'; 'The Spread of Aphrodite's Cults' and 'The Reception of the Goddess'. Each part draws on literary and visual sources, incorporates Greek, Roman, and later material, and ranges across places and periods - from prehistoric Cyprus and the Near East, to the antiquities market in 19th century France. This book therefore crosses interdisciplinary boundaries, as well as the multiple aspects and characterizations of the goddess." --Book Jacket.
- 9789004180031 (hardback : alk. paper)
9004180036 (hardback : alk. paper)
- Emerged from a conference at the University of Reading, May 8-10, 2008.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Source of Acquisition:
- UP-PAT copy: Purchased with funds from the Gift of the Tombros Libraries Endowment in Classics ; 2011.
View MARC record | catkey: 7775186