Writing women of the fin de siècle [electronic resource] : authors of change / edited by Adrienne E. Gavin and Carolyn W. de la L. Oulton
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I Poetics and Aesthetics -- 1.Re-Viewing Women Writers of the Fin de Siecle: Recent Critical Trends / Lyn Pykett -- 2.Sons of Fire and a Lost Eden: Expectations of Narrative and Protocols of Reading in Mary Braddon's Fin-de-Siecle Fiction / Gabrielle Malcolm -- 3.`The method of life we all lead': Olive Schreiner's Short Fiction as Challenge to the Stage Method / Stephanie Eggermont -- 4.`Let Your Life on Earth be Life Indeed': Aestheticism and Secularism in Mathilde Blind's the Prophecy of St. Oran and `On a Torso of Cupid' / Sara Lyons -- 5.Editing Michael Field: Taking Fin-de-Siecle Women's Poetry to a Broader Audience / Ana Parejo Vadillo -- pt. II Domesticity and Deviance -- 6.`I am not by nature domestic': Mary Cholmondeley and the Politics of Home / Carolyn W. de la L. Oulton -- 7.Having a Good Time Single? The Bachelor Girl in 1890s New Woman Fiction / Emma Liggins -- 8.Fin-de-Siecle Female Biographers and the Reconsideration of Popular Women Writers / Juliette Atkinson -- 9.`I have expiated my sins to you at last': Motherhood in Victoria Cross's Colonial Fiction / Melissa Purdue -- 10.`C. L. Pirkis (not "Miss")': Public Women, Private Lives, and the Experiences of Loveday Brooke, Lady Detective / Adrienne E. Gavin -- pt. III Gender and the Body -- 11.The Seventh Wave of Humanity: Hysteria and Moral Evolution in Sarah Grand's the Heavenly Twins / Naomi Hetherington -- 12.`A queer sort of interest': Vernon Lee's Homoerotic Allusion to John Singer Sargent and John Addington Symonds / Catherine Maxwell -- 13.Under the Hill: The `Man Question' in the New Woman Novels of Marie Corelli, Jessie Fothergill, and Mary Linskill / Brenda Ayres -- 14.`Your loving is unlike any other': Romance and the Disabled Body in the Gothic Fiction of Edith Nesbit and Lucas Malet / Kathleen A. Miller -- 15.Athletic Bodies Narrated: New Women in Fin-de-Siecle Fiction / Tracy J. R. Collins.
- 0230354262 (electronic bk.)
9780230354265 (electronic bk.)
- Description based on print version record.
In association with the Institute of English Studies, School of Advanced Study, University of London.
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Perth, W.A. Available via World Wide Web.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 7776090