The words and music of Dolly Parton : getting to know country's "Iron Butterfly" / Nancy Cardwell
- Cardwell, Nancy, 1958-
- Santa Barbara, Calif. : Praeger, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 178 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Machine generated contents note: The Chapters -- The Music -- The Criticism -- The Scope -- Dolly Data -- 1.My Tennessee Mountain Home -- You Can Take the Girl out of East Tennessee, but You Can't Take East Tennessee out of the Girl -- Her First Recordings -- Pursuing Her Dream to Write Songs and Perform -- Fred Foster and Monument Records: A Star Is Discovered -- Parton's First Album: Hello, I'm Dolly -- Butterflies and Therapists and Hank Williams -- 2.Hello, I'm Dolly! Porter's "Girl Singer" Finds a National Audience -- The Porter Wagoner Years: A Tennessee Mountain Rose Blooms on National Television -- Buck Trent: Wagonmaster, Banjo Stylist, and Inventor -- Dolly Parton through the Lens of Les Leverett -- A Few Words from Porter -- Dolly's RCA Years -- 3.Story Songs and Mountain Characters -- Dolly Parton: The Charles Dickens of Country Music -- Southern Settings and Characters -- The Dark Side -- Pitiful, Sick, and Dying Children -- Romance! -- The Spiritual---Faith and Mystery -- 4.The Seeker -- Dolly's Religious Background and Faith -- Dolly Parton: A Seeker -- Dolly's Letter to Heaven -- Patriotism and Spirituality -- 5.Freedom! -- Parton, Post-Porter -- Dolly's Appearance -- Dolly's Music Crosses Over -- Heartbreaker -- Goodness Gracious, Great Balls of Fire! -- She's Riding in a White Limozeen ... -- Nashville Coffee Talk with Fred Vail -- Dolly Dances with the Moon -- 6.Post-Porter Duets and the Trios -- Dolly Parton: High Priestess of Harmony -- Parton/Harris/Ronstadt -- Reminiscing with John Starling, MD -- Fred Foster's Winning Hand -- Burlap and Satin: Willie and Dolly -- Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers: Another Right Combination -- Dolly with Ricky Van Shelton -- Country Music's Pioneering Honky-Tonk Angels: Dolly, Loretta, and Tammy -- Dolly and Vinnie -- New Trios and Duos -- 7.Dollywood and Hollywood -- Dolly Parton, Entertainment Business Entrepreneur -- Dolly Conquers Hollywood and Returns to Television -- The Lights of Broadway! -- 8.Hungry Again: The Acoustic/Bluegrass Albums -- Parton Returns to Her Musical Roots -- Hungry Again -- The Bluegrass Trilogy -- Reflections from Steve Buckingham, Producer -- 9.Backwoods Barbie and Beyond -- A New Label, a Touring Broadway Musical, and a New Retail Venture -- New Albums, Movies, Tours, Philanthropic Projects -- Dolly Parton: Backwoods Barbie -- Dolly, the Boxed Set -- "Dr. Dolly" -- Children's Books -- Sometimes Sidemen and Musical Collaborators: The Grascals -- The Hall of Fame.
- "Dolly Parton has an enviable record of accomplishment as a performer, songwriter, recording artist, businesswoman, and philanthropist. She has triumphed on Broadway, in the movies, and even with her own theme park. "The Words and Music of Dolly Parton" probes its subject's unique singing voice and prolific abilities as a songwriter, as well as her impressive business savvy, fearless attitude, and an imagination as towering as the Smoky Mountains among which she grew up. This book focuses on Parton's most important albums and songwriting style, examining her career from her early days in the east Tennessee mountains through her national television exposure on the "Porter Wagoner Show, " her crossover success in pop music, and her return to her acoustic/bluegrass roots. In addition, it explores Parton's story songs and characters, the spirituality reflected in her music, and her important collaborations with other artists."
- 9780313378034 (hardcopy : alk. paper)
0313378037 (hardcopy : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -174) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 7777261