From woodblocks to the Internet : Chinese publishing and print culture in transition, circa 1800 to 2008 / edited by Cynthia Brokaw and Christopher A. Reed
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2010.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 440 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Brokaw, Cynthia Joanne
Reed, Christopher A. (Christopher Alexander), 1954-
- Sinica Leidensia, 0169-9563 ; v. 97
- Commercial woodblock publishing in the Qing (1644-1911) and the transition to modern print technology / Cynthia Brokaw -- Modernization without mechanization: the changing shape of fiction on the eve of the Opium War / Ellen Widmer -- Messenger of the sacred heart: Li Wenyu (1840-1911), and the Jesuit periodical press in Late Qing Shanghai / Joachim Kurtz -- The uses of genres in the Chinese press from the Late Qing to the Early Republican Period / Andrea Janku -- Printing the sound of cosmopolitan Beijing: dialect accents in nineteenth-century martial arts fiction / Paize Keulemans -- Spreading the Dharma with the mechanized press: new Buddhist print cultures in the modern Chinese print revolution, 1866-1949 / Jan Kiely -- Culture, commerce, and connections: the inner dynamics of new culture publishing in the post-May Fourth Period / Ling Shiao -- Reading and writing Zhejiang youth: local textual economies and cultural production in Republican Jiangnan / Robert Culp -- Advancing the (Gutenberg) revolution: the origins and development of Chinese print communism, 1921-1947 / Christopher A. Reed -- Consuming secrets: China's new print culture at the turn of the twenty-first century / Daria Berg -- Chinese Internet literature and the changing field of print culture / Guobin Yang -- Resistance is futile: control and censorship of the Internet in China / Gudrun Wacker.
- Publishers and publishing—China—History—19th century
- Publishers and publishing—China—History—20th century
- Printing—China—History—19th century
- Printing—China—History—20th century
- Books and reading—China—History
- Literature publishing—China—History
- Internet publishing—China
- Publishers and publishing—Social aspects—China—History
- Publishers and publishing—Political aspects—China—History
- 9789004185272 (acid-free paper)
9004185275 (acid-free paper)
- "... originated in an international conference on modern Chinese print culture at the Ohio State University held from November 3 to 7, 2004"--Acknowledgements.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -417) and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- UP-PAT copy: Purchased with funds from the Hastings Libraries Endowment; 2011.
View MARC record | catkey: 7778570