Lumen picturæ : a classical drawing manual / [Frederick de Wit].
- Wit, Frederik de.
- Additional Titles:
- Lumen picturae : a classical drawing manual
- New York : Harper Design, 2011.
New York : Distributed by HarperCollins.
- Physical Description:
- 171 pages : all illustrations ; 30 cm
- Introduction -- Human body -- Male nudes -- Female nudes -- Mythological and biblical figures -- Quadruped animals -- Birds and other animals.
- Frederick de Wit published his work 'Lumen picturæ' in Amsterdam between 1660 and 1675. It is a book of great historic value that falls within the tradition of the treatises on illustration, which were an essential element in any artist's education up to the impressionist revolution. The complete version of this work is an excellent introduction to the aesthetic developed in the seventeenth century. It enables us to take up the trail of the education and evolution of a painter in the Dutch Golden Age, characterized by hitherto unknown cultural prosperity and a blossoming of the arts.
- 9780062048882 (hbk.)
- Statement of responsibility from cover.
Facsimile reprint. Originally published in Amsterdam between 1660 and 1675.
- Source of Acquisition:
- UP-PAT copy: Purchased with funds from the Class of 1935 Libraries Endowment; 2011.
- Endowment Note:
- Class of 1935 Libraries Endowment
View MARC record | catkey: 7779997