Broadband [electronic resource] : bringing home the bits / Committee on Broadband Last Mile Technology, Computer Science and Telecommunications Board, Division on Engineering and Physical Sciences, National Research Council
- Washington, D.C. : National Academy Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 320 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- National Research Council (U.S.). Committee on Broadband Last Mile Technology, National Research Council (U.S.). Computer Science and Telecommunications Board, and National Research Council (U.S.). Division on Engineering and Physical Sciences
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Setting the Stage -- The Broadband Challenge -- Perspectives on Broadband -- A Brief History of the Communications Infrastructure -- From Promise to Broad Deployment: What Has Changed Since the Mid-1990s? -- Broadband Deployment Trends -- Reaching All Americans -- Access Economics and Evolving Applications -- Scope of This Report -- 2.What is Broadband? -- Why Define "Broadband"? -- Overview of the Technical Characteristics of Broadband -- Approaches to Defining Broadband -- 3.Broadband Applications and Content -- Broadband Applications: Promise and Reality -- Classes of Broadband Applications -- Social Factors and Impacts of Broadband -- 4.Technology Options and Economic Factors -- Local Access Technologies in Context -- Essential Features of the Local Access Technology Options -- Layering and Unbundling -- Economics of Infrastructure Investment -- Economics of Scaling Up Capacity: Congestion and Traffic Management -- 5.Broadband Policy and Regulation -- The Context for Broadband Policy -- Policy Implications of Technological Change -- Competition -- Expanding Access and Universal Service Policies -- The Local Role in Broadband -- App. A Broadband Technologies -- App. B A Brief History of Telecommunications Regulation -- App. C List of White Papers Received -- App. D Biographies of Committee Members.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 7797447