The fourth dimension in building [electronic resource] : strategies for minimizing obsolescence / Committee on Facility Design to Minimize Premature Obsolescence, Building Research Board, Commission on Engineering and Technical Systems, National Research Council ; Donald G. Iselin, Andrew C. Lemer, editors
- Corporate Author:
- National Research Council (U.S.). Committee on Facility Design to Minimize Premature Obsolescence
- Washington, D.C. : National Academy Press, 1993.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 102 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Iselin, Donald G. and Lemer, Andrew C.
- Studies in management of building technology
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Machine generated contents note: Obsolescence and Other Service Inadequacies -- Scope of the Study -- Organization of the Report -- 2.Obsolescence in Facilities -- Identifying Obsolescence -- Progression of the Service Life -- Rising Expectations and the Onset of Obsolescence -- Scale of the Obsolescence Problem -- Incentives to Avoid Obsolescence -- 3.Actions and Strategies for Avoiding Obsolescence -- Actions in Planning and Programming -- Actions in Design -- Actions in Construction -- Actions in Operations and Maintenance -- Actions in Reuse and Retrofit -- Responsibility for Action -- 4.Avoiding Obsolescence in Public Facilities -- Public Facilities Planning and Fiscal Programming -- Public Facilities Budgeting for Flexibility -- Setting Facility Design Guidelines and Other Predesign Action -- Facility Programming, Design, and Construction -- Operations -- Achieving Optimum Public Facilities Use -- App. A. Biographical Sketches of Committee Members and Staff -- App. B. Glossary of Terms -- App. C. Workshop on Environmental and Health Regulations as Sources of Facility Obsolescence -- App. D. Predicting Performance, Service Life, and Physical Life of Buildings and Their Components -- App. E. Hospital Building Systems.
- 0585143463 (electronic bk.) and 0309048427
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 87-102).
View MARC record | catkey: 7834816