How Students Learn [electronic resource] : Mathematics in the Classroom
- Corporate Author:
- National Research Council (U.S.), Committee on How People Learn, A Targeted Report for Teachers Staff
- Washington : National Academies Press, Jan. 2005.
- Physical Description:
- 272 pages : illustrations ; 10.000 x 07.000 in.
- Additional Creators:
- Donovan, Suzanne and Bransford, John
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Introduction / John D. Bransford / M. Suzanne Donovan -- 2.Putting principles into practice : understanding history / Peter J. Lee -- 3.Putting principles into practice : teaching and planning / Rosalyn Ashby / Peter J. Lee / Denis Shemilt -- 4."They thought the world was flat?" : applying the principles of How people learn in teaching high school history / Robert B. Bain -- 5.Mathematical understanding : an introduction / Mindy Kalchman / Karen C. Fuson / John D. Bransford -- 6.Fostering the development of whole-number sense : teaching mathematics in the primary grades / Sharon Griffin -- 7.Pipes, tubes, and beakers : new approaches to teaching the rational-number system / Joan Moss -- 8.Teaching and learning functions / Kenneth R. Koedinger / Mindy Kalchman -- 9.Scientific inquiry and How people learn / John D. Bransford / M. Suzanne Donovan -- 10.Teaching to promote the development of scientific knowledge and reasoning about light at the elementary school level / Shirley J. Magnusson / Annemarie Sullivan Palinscar -- 11.Guided inquiry in the science classroom / James Minstrell / Pamela Kraus -- 12.Developing understanding through model-based inquiry / Cynthia M. Passmore / Jennifer L. Cartier / James Stewart.
- Annotation "How Students Learn is also available in three paperback versions of the original title. Each volume begins with the Introductory Chapter from the main text, then focuses on either the "History in the Classroom, Math in the Classroom, or Science in the Classroom segments of the book. These smaller, paperback versions are perfect for anyone who wants to focus on individual subject areas.
- 9780309089494 and 0309089492 (Trade Paper)
- Audience Notes:
- Scholarly & Professional National Academies Press
View MARC record | catkey: 7843745