Observing weather and climate from the ground up [electronic resource] : a nationwide network of networks / Committee on Developing Mesoscale Meteorological Observational Capabilities to Meet Multiple National Needs, Board on Atmospheric Sciences and Climate, Division on Earth and Life Studies, National Research Council of the National Academies
- Corporate Author:
- National Research Council (U.S.). Committee on Developing Mesoscale Meteorological Observational Capabilities to Meet Multiple National Needs
- Washington, D.C. : National Academies Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 234 pages : color illustrations, color maps ; 23 cm
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Machine generated contents note: 1.Introduction -- 2.Observations supporting the fundamental infrastructure for mesoscale monitoring and prediction -- 3.National needs for mesoscale observations in five economic sectors -- 4.Observing systems and technologies : successes and challenges -- 5.Architecture for a network of networks -- 6.How to get from here to there : steps to ensure progress -- 7.Organizational attributes and options for a fully integrated NoN that meets multiple national needs -- 8.Concluding thoughts -- App. A A rationale for choosing the spatial density and temporal frequency of observations for various atmospheric phenomena -- App. B Tables of surface-based observing systems -- App. C Acronyms and initialisms -- App. D Statement of task.
- Detailed weather observations on local and regional levels are essential to a range of needs from forecasting tornadoes to making decisions that affect energy security, public health and safety, transportation, agriculture and all of our economic interests. As technological capabilities have become increasingly affordable, businesses, state and local governments, and individual weather enthusiasts have set up observing systems throughout the United States. However, because there is no national network tying many of these systems together, data collection methods are inconsistent and public accessibility is limited. This book identifies short-term and long-term goals for federal government sponsors and other public and private partners in establishing a coordinated nationwide "network of networks" of weather and climate observations.
- 0309129869 (pbk.) and 9780309129862 (pbk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 176-183).
View MARC record | catkey: 7868060