Steps toward large-scale data integration in the sciences [electronic resource] : summary of a workshop / Scott Weidman and Thomas Arrison
- Washington, D.C. : National Academies Press, c2010.
- Physical Description:
- x, 48 p. ; 23 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Weidman, Scott
Arrison, Thomas S.
National Research Council (U.S.). Committee on Applied and Theoretical Statistics
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction -- The current state of data integration in science -- Improving current capabilities for data integration in science -- Success in data integration -- Workshop lessons.
- "Steps Toward Large-Scale Data Integration in the Sciences summarizes a National Research Council (NRC) workshop to identify some of the major challenges that hinder large-scale data integration in the sciences and some of the technologies that could lead to solutions. The workshop was held August 19-20, 2009, in Washington, D.C. The workshop examined a collection of scientific research domains, with application experts explaining the issues in their disciplines and current best practices. This approach allowed the participants to gain insights about both commonalities and differences in the data integration challenges facing the various communities. In addition to hearing from research domain experts, the workshop also featured experts working on the cutting edge of techniques for handling data integration problems. This provided participants with insights on the current state of the art. The goals were to identify areas in which the emerging needs of research communities are not being addressed and to point to opportunities for addressing these needs through closer engagement between the affected communities and cutting-edge computer science."--Publisher's description.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 38-39).
View MARC record | catkey: 7894857