Surrounded by science [electronic resource] : learning science in informal environments / Marilyn Fenichel and Heidi A. Schweingruber ; Board on Science Education, Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education
- Fenichel, Marilyn
- Washington, DC : National Academies Press, c2010.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 220 p. : col. ill. ; 26 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Schweingruber, Heidi A. and National Research Council (U.S.). Board on Science Education
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Informal environments for learning science -- Science and science learning -- Design for science learning: basic principles -- Learning with and from others -- Interest and motivation: steps toward building a science identity -- Assessing learning outcomes -- Culture, diversity, and equity -- Learning through the life span -- Extending and connecting opportunities to learn science.
- "Practitioners in informal science settings--museums, after-school programs, science and technology centers, media enterprises, libraries, aquariums, zoos, and botanical gardens--are interested in finding out what learning looks like, how to measure it, and what they can do to ensure that people of all ages, from different backgrounds and cultures, have a positive learning experience. Surrounded by Science: Learning Science in Informal Environments, is designed to make that task easier. Based on the National Research Council study, Learning Science in Informal Environments: People, Places, and Pursuits, this book is a tool that provides case studies, illustrative examples, and probing questions for practitioners. In short, this book makes valuable research accessible to those working in informal science: educators, museum professionals, university faculty, youth leaders, media specialists, publishers, broadcast journalists, and many others."--Publisher's description.
- 9780309136747 (pbk.)
- "Based on the National Research Council report, Learning science in informal environments: people, places and pursuits."
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 7896670